Residential stair design
The design of the staircase in country houses arranged for permanent residence requires the use of specific attributes. Proper design will add to the aesthetics of the space and create an accent in the hallway of the house.
Types of stairs
The staircase should be functional and beautiful at the same time. To combine these two qualities, it is necessary to properly determine the type and its features.
According to the device, the construction is divided into several varieties:
- Spiral or helical. Used rarely, they look original and take up minimal space. Can be made of different materials. Such variants are not very convenient in operation. Therefore, they are installed in homes where there is a shortage of free space.
- Stairs on bolts. The original model. It implies a lightweight construction, fastened with special bolts. Therefore, it looks stylish and elegant.
- March stairs – a classic option. Can be made of one, two and more elements. It is used for any house. When installing this type of stairs are guided by the free area and height of the ceilings.
Erect structures can be made of any material. Some masters practice various combinations. The use of glass, decorative stone, metal or wood is welcome. The result is an environmentally friendly and beautiful element of the house.
Structural features of stairs
Any staircase consists of a list of mandatory parts. Because of their large number, it is considered a complex construction structure.
The following components are distinguished:
- Balustrade – this is a staircase guardrail, which is installed on the second floor landing in the arrangement.
- Balusters – a special detail in the form of vertical bars, the distance between which is less than 15 cm.
- Pillars – designed to fix the beams, are considered an important element for the slabs.
- The sub-beam is considered the basis for the installation of security fencing.
- A web is a beam that holds the steps in a given direction.
- The tread is the main part that serves to move on the stairs.
- The tread is the support for the step. Holds it in a horizontal position.
- The platform is necessary for the transition between flights of stairs. It is installed between the floors. Often serves as a reinforcement of the structure.
- Handrail – railing, which is necessary for a comfortable passage, serve as holding devices for the safety of people.
Most designs also include a skidding step. It is an angular turning element. It is installed when there is no transition platform. Sometimes these parts are constructed in one combination.
Note! Back steps are considered the widest among all, they are performed in the number of 4-5 pieces in the area of turning stair elements.
Also, by the type of steps, it is customary to divide constructions into open and closed.
Options for the most beautiful staircases for every taste
If it is necessary that the staircase corresponded to the general environment, choose similar shades of construction, as well as the direction of the style.
In a modern style
Bright and original will be any interior with a properly arranged staircase. Modern models are suitable for any direction. Practically have no restrictions on design.
Massive concrete construction without handrails and other auxiliary elements. Held with the help of built-in reinforcement and reinforcement. This variant is considered a march, with the presence of a connecting pass-through platform.
Elegant arched model. It is similar in type to the spiral one as well. A characteristic feature is a special turning point and the design of the baluster with a railing.
The alternation of dark and light material helps the design to match the style of the interior. Handrails, as well as the entire staircase, are made of wood. They are coated with lacquer, so they have a smooth structure.
A simple but stylish piece of wood. Has solid handrails. The combination of coffee and white shades corresponds to the modern type of interior. The three-level marching model is suitable for a house built of wood. Wide railing with rough texture is convenient to use during movement on the stairs.
Spiral staircase with a utility room under it. Made of different material. The steps are of concrete block, and the railing is made of wood. Noteworthy is an interesting design of balusters. They are laid horizontally, with a minimum gap.
Another variant of modern design of structures. Wooden base and staircase frame with glass balusters. Handrails are made in the form of frames. They securely hold a glass cloth. The balustrade is made in the same style, with special fastening mechanisms for glass.
In the style of minimalism
Staircase construction in minimalism has no decor. If some accessories are present, there are very few. It is possible to design any of the options, taking into account new trends and innovations.
One of the simplest models. The marching staircase with an unremarkable design. A special accent is created by the design of the bottom two steps. They are attached to the concrete base, have a wide arc-shaped surface. The balusters are made of metal, with a wooden handrail in a dark color on top.
Wooden construction with a solid first platform and wide steps. Special glass panels are installed as railings. They are fixed with screws. The lack of standard railing makes the element wide and noticeable.
The product is made of durable exclusively transparent glass. Has a stepped type of device, wide transitional platforms are provided. Looks great this staircase in narrow corridors and unremarkable halls.
Glass staircase with a left-hand rail. Characterized by its airiness and simple design. Metal rungs, which are fixed to the main partition, act as holding devices. The handrails on the balustrade and the stairs themselves are made of metal. Glass modules act as a barrier.
In the classical style
Classic is acceptable more for large-sized dacha houses. There should be enough space for such an interior.
An interesting and quite massive staircase model. The main materials are marble and forged metal, with various decorative elements. The design is considered spiral-shaped, it has round forms, there is no transition platform. Such designs have a lot of weight. Therefore, try to attach these structures to the load-bearing walls. Under the construction itself do cellars or basements. They will complement the strength of the construction.
Wooden model, painted in white. The bars of the handrails are turned with a carpentry machine. The design can consist of two or three levels. A wide area between the floors is acceptable. The handrails are the same color as the steps. The ladder is characterized by its arc-shaped shape. Suitable for the design of large country houses.
Massive staircase made of wood. The form of the steps is rounded and smooth. The construction itself has some narrowing to the top. The handrails are equipped with interesting balusters. Their basis is considered to be forged metal with interesting patterns. Their surface is painted white, some parts have a golden hue. Handrails are carved from solid wood. The surface of the staircase has no sharp corners, which is characteristic of the classic design.
Straight and stern staircase. Worthy of attention for its interesting and at the same time restrained design. Brown steps look perfectly with white tread. Massive pillars are considered the basis of a reliable protective structure. The model in the photo is made entirely of wood, has a lacquered glossy surface. The bottom step extends beyond the structure, creating a natural decoration.
A great option for those who prefer chic and rich decoration. The marble style steps with a snow-white tread create a clear accent on the structure. The staircase has branching handrails and interesting balusters made of metal. Forging in the classic is one of the best design options. Slender uprights are designed to branch the railing spectacularly.
Loft style is quite common. Its characteristic feature is the presence of a brick wall and the use of natural shades. Staircases with this design option are well limited in decor.
Simple and reinforced version of the design with wooden handrails and metal base. Simple steps made of thick broad wood. The role of attachment is given to special bolt connections. This option refers to the spiral type of stairs. The shade of the handrails and the steps themselves correspond to the style of decoration of the walls and other surfaces in the room.
The staircase in the loft style. A successful combination of mesh balusters and metal handrails. The design looks unfinished, which is considered an important component in the intended direction of the interior. Such structures are more often organized with the help of welding works. The base is held on wooden supports.
Again, a wooden structure on a metal profile base. Narrow, unfinished railings create a sense of unfinished design. Special welded corners serve as holding mechanisms for the steps. Rails and any other type of unpainted metal profile can be used for the base. The march variant of the construction is equipped with small transitional platforms. Such a design would be appropriate in the area of panoramic windows between the floors.
The staircase has wide dark steps and an interesting design of the railing. The balusters are horizontal. Such a staircase seems suspended and light. Handrails and platform are combined with some elements of the interior of the room. Massive metal connectors make the design more rigid and reliable.
Art Deco style
Art deco is one of the modern and popular design options.
A dark design that rises above the floor decor. Characterized by rectangular, massive steps. Powerful railing with a decorated baluster creates volume and increases the dimensions of the construction. Such a model is made of solid wood. The wall in the area of such a construction is arranged similarly.
Circular double-sided stairs with comfortable handrails. They are equipped with nickel-plated protective bars, which are bolted to the floor or steps. There are reinforcing rungs between some sections. The arched handrails are made of wood, with a glossy finish. The steps are made of a material imitating marble.
Comfortable design, which fits perfectly into the Art Deco interior. High stairs to the second floor with wooden steps. The basis of the construction is concrete. The sloping railings are spectacularly complemented by monograms bent out of metal rods. The spiral version of the staircase makes the ceilings visually higher.
Interesting staircase in the interior with prominent handrails and protective structures. Forged balusters are made in the form of unusual patterns. They repeat the features of vegetation, flowers, drops. Steps are usually made of granite or marble stone. Such a staircase has a wide holding platform with a decorative pedestal in the hall.
Regardless of which style the owner prefers, the design must be absolutely safe and beautiful at the same time. In large two-story rooms, try to make massive structures. Models with an interesting decoration are actual.
On a side note! One step should have no more than 18 steps. Further, it is obligatory to arrange the platform. Otherwise, it will be tiring to move around.
Options for lighting the stairs
If the design of stairwells in multi-story buildings does not matter, then in private homes this issue is acute. It is important to correctly organize the main light of the structure or backlighting. As a result, the structure will become a bright component of the interior.
Spotlights and small sconces on the walls are considered the most relevant options for lighting home stairs. If they are properly placed on different sides, it will be possible to achieve an incredible effect. Lighting helps to create a unique shade of the structure in the evening.
The design with running steps. Made of wood. A great option for lighting is the lighting, which is located under each step. It tries to organize with LED strip to light slightly illuminate the structure. This design allows convenient use of the stairs at night. Launched lighting with the help of adjacent switches.
A similar way of lighting design as in the previous idea. The difference is that these steps are suspended. When the lighting is turned on, a visual volume effect is created. The staircase seems transparent and unique. The glass stops give the structure a lightness and neutrality.
The lighting of steps for the second floor can be done with specially designed lamps. They are installed in niches. Turn them on regularly at night. As an option, set up an automatic start and turn off the backlighting.
Suspended marching stairs without safety railings can be equipped with small sconces along the wall. They are not bad to illuminate the design at night. Artificial lighting will be ideal for structures with wooden steps. Also looks good and semi-darkness on the stairs from any other material.
Frequent mistakes that are made during the construction of stairs
Beginner masters often make a lot of mistakes. They adversely affect the design features of stairs. They should not be allowed:
- Incorrect rise or a large angle of inclination. As a result of the incorrect projection of the construction, the finished version becomes uncomfortable. Such an error often results in an insufficient width of the steps.
- The wrong material for the frame. Many people get confused when choosing the raw material to install a structure. For example, wooden houses need proper stairs. Their height should not exceed two stories. For buildings with monolithic slabs, it is recommended to create concrete stairs with attachment to the load-bearing partition.
- Loads on the slab. Always, before you begin construction, it is important to assess whether the floor will support the weight of the future staircase. If this point is not calculated, you may be faced with rapid destruction of a homemade staircase.
- Unconformability. If the finished structure is difficult to move, the railing does not meet the safety requirements, it is uncomfortable to use the design. Also, the size of the steps should be observed: no more than 20 and no less than 14 cm.
- Ignoring the level of the floor. If a concrete staircase is installed, it must be made taking into account the upper and lower level of the floor covering. As a result of non-compliance, there is a risk of getting too steep and dangerous steps.
- Safety. If there are children in the house, all requirements must be met. It is important that the child could not fall out over the handrails or slip on the steps. To do this, the railing is made high. The distance between the baluster should be minimal, and the surface of the steps should not be slippery.
The design of a sculptural or any other staircase should be unique. Professionals recommend doing it in a modern style. This makes it possible not to be limited in imagination in the arrangement of the construction. Following fashion trends and improvements, it is always possible to add something new to such constructions.